Thursday, November 6, 2014

Change of Course

Each of us have our own set of dreams, aspirations, goals and plans. Particular paths we intend to follow, milestones to reach. However, sometimes we experience a change of course and we find ourselves on a completely foreign path going the opposite direction. Sometimes life doesn't turn out the way we planned it. Mine sure didn't, but I praise God every day that my life turned out the way He intended.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:8-9

Right out of high school I had plans for my life. I knew what I wanted, where I was going and where I wanted to be in 10 years. I would get my nursing degree, pass the Wisconsin state boards and then procure a job where I  could gain lots of experience as a general nurse. From there I wanted to be involved on a surgical team. I would have a good paying job, work hard, save my money and eventually buy a horse ranch where I would live happily ever after with my four-legged friends and the sweet smell of hay. What about Prince Charming you say? Nah, I'll stick with horses thank you very much. This was my vision for my life. I had a very self-centered outlook, "I can do it all on my own and I don't need anyone else in my life". Besides, I told myself, it you let people get close to you, they ultimately have their own agendas and I would get hurt.

In the last year of my nursing school, God had begun to work on my heart. To show me that I had been carrying around bitterness and past hurts. That these unresolved heart-issues were clouding my vision and causing me to be hurt, angry and hard hearted. I almost didn't recognize who I was, I certainly wasn't the happy-go-lucky girl that I had known growing up. My life wasn't my own. God through his wonderful grace began to heal my brokenness. As the healing process continued, I started to feel something stirring within my heart. Just a whisper at first, than a thought that took shape as a growing desire. I started to have less and less desire for the professional career that I had been pursing and started to feel a burning to follow the path of a stay at home wife.

At first I questioned this path. Was this really who I was supposed to be? Would I be successful? Would my husband be satisfied with how I was contributing to our home? Would we be able to survive on a single income? Would it be enough? I can truly say with confidence that I have no regrets being a stay at home wife. All my fears have been chased away like shadows when a light is turned on. To be a stay at home wife (and eventually) mother is my true calling. This life is my high calling; to minister as a help meet to my husband, to take responsibility for the education of our children - to teach them in the way they should go. I can think of no more worthy or glorious calling.

 I feel confident, at peace and completely content in the path that God has led me down, His ways and His path for me is so much better than one I could have chosen on my own.

The Revolutionary Homemaker,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment