I recently read an article titled Let's stop idealizing the home-cooked family dinner by Amanda Marcotte. The author states that the 1950's dreamy delusion of a family dinner is an oppressive and draining burden placed upon women. That in addition to work life, home chores, demanding children, cost/time constraints, picky and ungrateful eaters the burdens of home cooking may very well out weight the benefits. Marcotte even goes so far as to acknowledge that while home cooked meals are in general healthier than their restaurant counterparts, the stress it causes women may not be worth the fuss.
As a homemaker, I take great pride in the meals I prepare for my family. Mind you, not every meal I make is complex or gourmet. Sometimes we have a large salad for dinner or occasionally on Saturday's I'll make popcorn with a cheese, apple and carrot tray. Cooking for Andy and myself is important to me. The unsung hours spent in the kitchen planning and preparing each meal from scratch I suppose at times may seem like an unending and thankless job. But at dinner time, all the toil is worth it. To see Andy enjoying a healthy meal after a long days work, talking about our day and spending time around the dinner table is a priceless gift. The home-made family dinner is not an oppressive burden - it's an honor and a privilege that God would count me worthy to provide tasty, satisfying and healthy meals for my loved ones.
The Revolutionary Homemaker,
Sara
No comments:
Post a Comment